We Care About the Environment
Mitchell's Speedway Press; doing our part to Save Our Planet
Through the years, even before it was cool, Mitchell’s Speedway Press has been a leader in managing our printing business in ways that impact the environment in a friendly, positive, and thoughtful manner.
Long before others were paying attention to environmental issues, we implemented and still update our Environmental Vision and Management Policy:
- Virtually 100% of our paper purchases are from paper companies that harvest trees from decades-old tree farms, specifically planted, harvested, and replanted to provide an ongoing source of non-public paper pulp. We recycle tons and tons of paper every month. Many of our paper MFG make high post consumer content stocks and use wind and/or solar power to produce their paper.
- All recyclable materials are returned to the re-manufacturing process and incorporated into the reusable paper chain, eventually returning to us as one of the many 100% recyclable house stocks we offer our clients, some manufactured completely from wind energy. Frankly, it is a lot of work and effort, with a buy-back revenue stream that covers only a small fraction of the cost of our efforts. That's OK; we believe it to be a very valuable effort.
- We use FSC recycled papers whenever possible, and encourage others to do the same. Our house stocks all have recycled content; you do not even need request it. The paper looks great, prints great, with no compromises in your image quality.
- Chemical-free platemaking for our Offset printing process (CTP). Our installation of the most advanced water based Presstek plate system, assuring there is no impact on the environment through a chemical disposal process. This technology is also energy-efficient, thus lowering the electrical power necessary for operation.
- We use inks and toners that are recyclable. The inks are low VOC and our the best product we can buy. Even our large format printers use eco solvent inks.
- We use many chemicals and solvents that are almost 100% water soluble, bio-degradable, and recyclable. We consider these products to be a wise investment. They are recycled or disposed of by a certified firm assuring cradle to grave safety.
- We have implemented programs to reduce our electrical consumption and to minimize the usage of all raw materials. We have replaced all old light fixtures with new ballasts and bulbs, all remodeling includes upgraded insulation and windows. This saves us money and we help save the environment at the same time.
- A very important way that we urge our customers to partner with us in our environmental efforts is by using our digital/internet ordering, proofing, and reordering system. Use of our digital ordering system enables all of us to save substantial amounts of gasoline and other raw materials. If you have suggestions about how we could further limit our environmental impact, please email us with your ideas.
- Everyone wants to do something to help the environment. Many of Mitchell’s Speedway Press clients are working hard to go 'green' by reducing their carbon footprint. We appreciate your efforts and will continue to do our part to make 'being green' as easy and as successful as possible.
How do we produce our printing to be greener? Well we use all the methods above plus we discuss with you, the customer your needs and thoughts.
How do we print “Smarter”? This means communicating and printing more effectively and more efficiently. The use of data, data management and variable data printing are common and simple tools to increase effectiveness and efficiency by minimizing non-productive communications, combining information and mailings and reducing production effort, transportation, etc. There are many other “smarter” tools such as combining and/or coordinating electronic and print communications, changing print medium (e.g. letters to postcards), etc.
How do we print by“Reducing impact”? This means we are constantly working at decreasing the consumption of resources and decreasing the generation of waste or pollutants. Resources include wood, paper, energy, water, land, fuels, chemicals, etc. Waste and pollutants include materials that end up in landfills or recycling centers and materials that require special processing to avoid damage to the environment. Impact reduction is viewed in the broadest terms of complete resource, waste and pollutant cycles (e.g. mailing lighter print pieces rather than heavier ones to consume less energy in production, procurement, delivery, etc.).
How do we help you do greener printing? Simply, we apply technology, use data and mix with commonsense to reduce environmental impact, for example:
- Aim to eliminate non-productive communications
- Create focused messages to elicit higher response rates
- Combine and personalize messages to minimize mailings
- Add more value to communications to minimize waste
- Measure and analyze to optimize communication effectiveness.
We're putting our best foot, or footprint, forward with new equipment, modern technologies and better procedures so you can feel good, knowing that both your printing projects and your concern for the environment are being served.